Because with us, the player counts as a person!
Strengthen yourself and your team: Join in and become a member!
VDV – Your players' union
As the players' union, the VDV represents the interests of professionals and supports more than 1,400 members with professional services in the fields of financial provision for old age, protection, employment law, education, career planning, medicine, sports psychology and competition integrity. VDV also organizes a training camp for players without a club every summer, which has already proved to be a springboard into new jobs for many professionals.
The VDV is ...
- a union founded in 1987 by active professional players.
- independent, democratic and a vehicle for solidarity.
- the collective voice of professionals for the benefit of ALL players. officially recognised by the DFB and LIGA.
- represented in the DFB's legal bodies (sport court and federal court). in constant contact with other players' trade unions outside Germany.
The VDV has ...
- fought for a variety of rights of participation in football.
- helped to win freedom of movement at the end of contract (Bosman ruling).
- been instrumental in introducing mandatory cardiac check ups for professionals.
- improved the transfer rights of players without a club.
- won many payment concessions for professional players (holiday pay etc.).
- co-founded the DFB-VDV pension scheme.
- helped to refine sport psychology care for players (MENTAL GESTÄRKT).
- established the select "VDV 11" Bundesliga team.
- worked to considerably improve preventative work in professional football concerning the integrity of competition (betting manipulation, doping).
- enforced the anti-match-fixing training obligation in German professional soccer.
- maintained the statutory accident insurance for paid team athletes in its existing form against great resistance and averted benefit cuts at the expense of the athletes.
The VDV calls for ...
- a fair balance of interests between players, clubs and associations as the basis for the successful marketing of professional football.
- collective bargaining agreements in professional football to deliver greater legal certainty in case of contentious questions.
- better protection against unpaid wages and club insolvencies, particularly in the 3rd and 4th tiers.
- a further extension to the transfer window for players without a club and ‘victims of insolvency’.
- a statutory right for professional players to participate in training and game preparations with the first team.
- better health protection (duty of sports psychology care in professional clubs, limit to the number of games played, minimum number of holidays en bloc etc.).
- improvements in terms of protection and financial provision for old age (in the event of illness, benefits such as the continuance of salary payments beyond six weeks, improved protection for the players in the event of illness, strengthening of the club's retirement provision for players, the setting up of a career fund with interim payments after a career in football has ended etc.)
- improved consideration of personal rights and the privacy of the players (adaptation of the ‘whereabouts rules’ for top players, stipulating the ‘free choice of doctor’, improvements to the protection of player data, creating more scope for the self-promotion of professionals etc.).
A professional service for professional players
As the voice of the professionals, VDV not only represents the interests of players towards clubs and associations, but also offers voluntary and high-quality - as well as largely free - services for members. Here are a few examples:
- Initial legal advice concerning issues to do with employment law (free for members)
- Checking of employment contracts, bonus agreements, agreements with player agents, outfitters and sponsors (free for members)
The VDV professionals camp
Team training and test matches for professionals without clubs including DFL examinations, accommodation, meals and professional support (free for members but only for adult members and subject to pre-selection)
After the career in football has ended: Career coaching
- Individual support in the following areas: analysis potential, homing in on a new career, further education and financial promotion options provided by VDV experts (free for members)
- Opportunities for distance learning for professionals and talented players via VDV education partners (as a general rule, these are discounted and in part, exam dates to fit in with match-free days)
- Support in the training of DFB coaches (free for members)
Pension provision, insurance cover, taxes
- Support with pension planning through the DFB-VDV-Versorgungswerk (pension fund)
- Support with risk insurance via the VDV partner "DK Sportler beraten Sportler GmbH"
- Support concerning questions related to tax law via the VDV partner "ETL Profisport"
Health and sports psychology
- Sports medicine, sports science and sports psychology-related support from VDV partner 'medicos.AufSchalke'
- Confidential sport-related psychological counselling via the network initiative initiated by the VDV MENTAL GESTÄRKT (MENTALLY STRENGTHENED)
Securing competition integrity
- Education and training in order to reduce match fixing and prevent addiction to gambling
- Doping prevention through lectures and advice on an individual basis
- Sending out the VDV magazine WIR PROFIS as well as access to the member area of the VDV website www.spielergewerkschaft.de with practical tips and warnings for professionals and talents (free for members)
- Interested parties can also obtain information via the VDV's social media presence on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube.
VDV advantage club
- Shopping at special rates from well known manufacturers, dealers and service providers (only for members)
- Participation in the elections for the Bundesliga selection 'VDV 11' (all VDV members)
FIT FOR JOB
- Training sessions with tips and warnings for talents and young professionals (topics: players' agent law, anti-discrimination, VBG benefits, education, pension provision and cover etc.) in coordination with clubs and associations